Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Roasted Red Pepper, Avocado, Chili Enchiladas

So this recipe is a Tex-Mex inspiration. Enchiladas used to be my favorite thing to make before I became a vegetarian. I perfected a recipe and made them all the time, Everyone loved them and every-time I made them it seemed that the huge pan was empty after 5 minutes. Since becoming a veg head I have yet to feel that same excitement over my enchiladas...Until last night. Now saying that  I have long since stopped missing the taste of meat, but it seemed I could never match the deliciousness of my non veg enchiladas with my many veggie/vegan attempts. I promise that even a carnivore wouldn't miss there meat after one bite of these. I contemplated keeping this recipe to myself, (All good cooks should have a few secrets right?) but I have a hard time not sharing, whenever I try to keep a secret recipe it always gets out eventually so I might as well blog about it now. I do hope you give these a try, you won't be sorry.



Ingredients:

10 whole wheat flour tortillas (To make this recipe gluten free all you need to do is use gluten free tortillas)
1 Lg can Green Enchilada sauce
1 can Amy's chili (or you can use homemade if you prefer)
1 onion, chopped
1 tbs oil
3/4 cup roasted red pepper, skin removed and sliced. (you can use jarred to save time)
1 cup baby bella mushrooms, sliced
1/2 cup fresh cilantro, roughly chopped, Extra for garnish if desired
2 tbs fresh lime juice
2 ripe avocados
1 tsp salt
1/4 cup nutritional yeast.
about  1 1/2 cups diaya cheese, I used half cheddar and half mozzarella


Directions: Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Heat oil in a skillet and saute onions until translucent. Then add roasted red peppers, mushrooms, and lime juice. Let simmer until most of the liquid has been absorbed. Then add your cilantro and can of chili. continue to simmer for 3-5 minutes. In a bowl mash the avocados with salt and nutritional yeast. A chunky texture is fine. In a large 9x13 glass casserole dish pour in enough enchilada sauce to cover the bottom. On your tortilla spread a spoonful of the mashed avocado and then top  with a spoonful of the mix and spread evenly in the center.


  Roll up and place in pan with the seam on the bottom. Continue until the pan is full.


Then top with the rest of the Enchilada sauce and sprinkle the top with cheese. Cover the pan with foil and cook for 16-18 minutes. Remove foil and cook for an additional 4-6 minutes. Garnish with cilantro, salsa, sour cream, whatever you like.


1 comment:

  1. Yum! I bet these are better than anything you'd get in a restaurant! They look super satisfying.

    ReplyDelete